Listen to the full episode here:
Adrian is a Sr Sales Engineer with Splunk who focuses on security. He has worked for various security startups in the bay area for the past 15 years from vulnerability management, to endpoint investigation, to ML based threat hunting.
• Had an interest in security early on, starting with opening binaries on Sierra's King's Quest games and looking for hints.
• Took any opportunity he got to get exposed to security
• His job as an instructor was very useful during support and later as a sales engineer
• Keeps a Trello board for his lab!!
• Adrian expenses (deducts) what he spends on his lab from his taxes. (Consult a tax attorney)
• He mentions an awesome hack for installing Kali on a chromebook (~22 mins)
• "I remember the first time I found Phrack, my mind exploded a little bit."
• "Experience is experience, everything that you use [skills] will get used later on."
• "...figure out what pieces their missing, so you can fill them in."
• "Go through the CIS top 20 critical controls"
• "Be less focused on the whizbang fun stuff, and more focused to get you the most return."
Please thank my guests for sharing their time with us and let them know if this episode helped you.
Adrian Kaylor on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AdrianKaylor
Adrian Kaylor on LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriankaylor/
Splunk Dev License:
CIS 20 Controls:
SANS Holiday Hack Challenge:
Garage Door Hack by Samy Kamkar:
Sam Bowne's Class:
Adrian's Presentation on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LF96Oq_pgo (Picture of lab at 24:05)
Intro Music by Trash80:
Outro Music (Liberation Theology - Exploitation is Sin):
Learning Resource Mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MYF6Zo6i6A based on:
Getting Into Infosec: