Listen to the full episode here:
Jack Rhysider's origin story. With an engineering background Jack found himself doing odd jobs at first. Looking to get back into tech he "certed" up and got a job in the NOC (Network Operation Center) and eventually became a SOC architect building a SOC from scratch. Looking to do something different, he started Dark Net Diaries and it's been an adventure since!
Jack Rhysider started his professional career in a NOC and then became a network security engineer. Doing a lot of work around hardening the network and detecting threats in the network. He became a security architect and successful built a SOC for an MSSP. Currently he's the host of the podcast Darknet Diaries where he interviews hackers or those who've suffered a major attack. The podcast has experienced phenomenal growth so Jack now works on it full time.
• A glimpse into the life of a security analyst and a Managed SOC
• Takes about 3-6 months for an analyst to baseline and come up to speed
• First hack was hacking the Sim City savegame file. Dad was thrilled!
• Several years of blogging his journey in Infosec helped Jack with his communication skills and explaining difficult concepts to people.
• "As a Security Engineer, I need to know a little bit about everything."
• "I would do things like remove (rm -f /) the whole root directory, just to see how many files I could delete before the whole operating system would crash!"
• "Be fearless grandma!"
• "I think there is a lot of shaming that goes on of people that do security wrong... that kind of makes things stressful."
• "I think what us as security people lack sometimes is good communication."
• "Taking on tasks when nobody asked them to take it on... in the eyes of ... wherever you work... this is amazing!"
• "...I would keep corrupting files over and over but eventually I figured out which byte in the file was for the amount of money and I was able to give myself a Billion Dollars!"
Darknet Diaries Podcast
Intro Music by Trash80
Outro Music by Mid-Air Machine