Listen to the full episode here:
Leron Gray is a man of many talents. Not getting really into computers until much later in life, but always having a creative side, he now finds himself as a pentester working from home and nerdcore rapper producing amazing beats!
Leron is currently a penetration tester and a ten year Navy veteran with four years experience as a Cryptologic Technician (Networks), focusing primarily in offensive cyber operations. He holds a Bachelor's degree from Dakota State University in Cyber Operations. With a passion for Python, he loves automating tedious daily routine tasks for efficiency and considers himself to always be in a position to learn more and pass on knowledge. He always enjoys competing in as many Capture-the-Flag events as possible and also often performs as a nerdcore rapper.
Leron currently holds eCPPT, eWPT, GPYC, GPEN, GAWN, GCFE, and GICSP certifications. He also maintains a blog and maintains an active Twitter discussing music, information security and wrestling.
• Went to a high school that made you choose majors.
• Grew up poor, was not allowed to go out much.
• Technological learning came from school.
• Didn't really get into computers until he was 25.
• Has been in music sister Jr. High School. Marching band, jazz band, and concert band... all the bands.
• Networking is the biggest thing that Leron says would help.
• Leron offers his passionate opinion on "aptitude". It's a pet peeve of his.
• "I learned a lot... I made sure not to waste any opportunity for learning..."
• "Job searching in general is a pain."
• "I don't think I would be where I am right now if I hadn't gone out and made that effort."
• "One of the big deals that people had were degrees, I wasn't really sure why; I have 10 years of IT/Cyber experience."
• "It turned out the company no longer owned that server. Their DNS was still pointing to it though."
• "I took Java in high school and was really bad at it and I found out everyone is bad at Java so it doesn't really matter."
• "It's so much easier to learn when you have a problem to fix."
• "It's not even just information security that learning pyt hon could help... it could be anything you do.. .often enough to warrant not to do it manual."
• "Nobody does a CTF and expects not to learn something by the time they leave ."
• "Job searches shouldn't be like that. They should be based on you merit. But..."
• "Maybe the person can't get OSCP, but maybe they have the skills or knowledge..."
• "The idea of aptitude... raises too many borders."
• Leron on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mcohmi
• Leron's Blog: https://daddycocoaman.dev/
• Leron's GitHub: https://github.com/daddycocoaman
• Class that Leron Is Mentoring: https://www.sans.org/mentor/class/sec573-seattle-19mar2019-leron-gray
• Visual Studio Code: https://code.visualstudio.com/
• PyCharm: https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/
• IPython Notebook: https://ipython.org/notebook.html
• San Antonio's Hackers Association: https://satxhackers.org/wp/
• MC OHM-I: https://www.mcohmi.com
Intro Music: Cascadia by Trash80 - https://trash80.com/#/content/133/weeklybeats-2012-week5 (Released under Creative Commons)
Outro Music: https://soundcloud.com/mc-ohm-i/domain
Getting Into Infosec:
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/coffeewithayman
• YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6gV_gdfc188HZdN8LUx4A
• Book: https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Step-Step-Starting-Information-ebook/dp/B07N15GTPC/