Listen to the full episode here:
Lisa Jiggetts knew from an early age that she was going to be in tech an cyber. A navy veteren who started off as a cook, she always found herself gravitating towards technology. She is also the Founder & Board of Director of Women’s Society of Cyberjutsu, a non-profit that is dedicated to increasing the opportunities and advancement for women in cybersecurity. Checkout her journey into the cybersecurity field.
• Originally a cook in the military, then migrated to information security.
• Looked for opportunities to transition into information security by talking to people in and outside her social network.
• Networking can be hard, but it will turn in your favor.
• Lisa is an introvert, but know how to become an extrovert when needed.
• "When you're starting out, you don't necessarily get into the area you want to be in—you got to work your way up."
• “That's the biggest thing you can do. I think is networking because somebody knows somebody"
• "So I got all these certifications… I read a book and pass. What is it to me personally? That didn't tell me, you know, how to do anything. They get you in the door"
• "[Networking is] hard, but, just do it because in the end, it's gonna turn out in your favor."
• Lisa on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lisajiggetts
• Intro Music: https://trash80.com/#/content/133/weeklybeats-2012-week5
• Women’s Society of Cyberjutsu : https://womenscyberjutsu.org/
Getting Into Infosec
• Breaking IN: A Practical Guide to Starting a Career in Information Security: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N15GTPC/
• T-Shirts, Mugs, and more: https://gettingintoinfosec.com/shop/
• Stay in touch and sign up for sneak peaks, updates, and commentary: https://pages.gettingintoinfosec.com/subscribe
• Ayman on Twitter: https://twitter.com/coffeewithayman