The Ultimate Location For All Things Getting Into Infosec
Get all the latest news, hear the latest episodes, hang out with fellow listeners, and get that confidence that you need to take that step into InfoSec!
Why This Podcast?
I’m often asked how do I get into information security (aka cybersecurity). However, the answer is really not the same for everyone. First of all, there are so many positions and niches in the field, so we kind of need to start there. Second, it helps to know more about the person, their strengths, weaknesses, and interests.
I figured the BEST way for someone to learn about the field and get in is from someone else’s experience. This would help educate them on getting in and provide some motivation that they are not alone and that others have crossed this path, helping to motivate them to continue when facing challenges.
For me, I’m always on the lookout for a good story. Often, I’m searching on Twitter or asking random people at security meetups and cons. It’s amazing the diversity of stories that are out there; if only I could clone myself!
I focus on practitioners in the field so that those out there looking to break in can get inspired and learn from them.
Do you have a story you’d like to share with the world? Shoot me an email with your LinkedIn profile or resume. I would love to connect. Especially if you JUST got into the field!
A lot of time and work is invested in the show. In the spirit of transparency, here is a breakdown of time and money spent on the show. As you know, I don’t accept sponsors.
- Editing: $25-40 per episode (depending on the length and sound quality. I use someone on Fiverr for this)
- Podcast Hosting: $12/mo
- Editing Software: $300 (one-time)
- Post-Production, Spoof Ad, and Show Notes: 5+ hours/episode (tried outsourcing this, and found it immensely more connecting to listen to the episode since I get more details of our conversation the second time)
- Recording: 1-1.5 hours/episode
- Sourcing and Scheduling: 2hrs/episode (some people are much harder to schedule than others. BIG thank you to guests that made it easy for me)
I have a couple of replacement projects that I would LOVE to bring to fruition.
- Transcription: $1/min (would love to host transcripts of the episodes, but it’s really costly)
- Spoof Ad Videos (would love to animate these videos and post them on YouTube (Collaborators welcome!))
Hi, I’m Ayman! I like coffee, Hawaiian shirts, and meeting new people. I’m a stop-and-smell-the-roses kind of guy. I’m also passionate about empowering and helping others. Follow me on Twitter for tweets and resources on Getting Into Infosec, and sign up for my mailing list! If you see me out in the wild, say hi!
If you found this useful, spread the word! I would really appreciate it.